Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Sixth :|: Bangkok

The Sixth :|: Bangkok

Somewhere in between the madness of wandering through the grounds of the Grand Palace and catching a glimpse of the Reclining Buddha, I walked past the number of street vendors and into a small alley known as Tha Tien Alley. I had no expectations walking down this street, as I was directed this way and followed my stomach to some place that could satisfy that hunger. The Sixth Crafts & Cafe did just that and a whole lot more.

With a newly opened establishment, Apple and Ant (nicknames) have created something that is a gem in the tourist madness of the Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang area which in near the Grand Palace and just across the street from the Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho. Just before taking the Tha Tien - Wat Arun water shuttle to visit Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), I ventured into this place, lured by its array of Thai curries that I was craving on the day. With your choice of protein, The Sixth provided a number of choices even having a few choices aside from simply curries. While the price maybe higher than from a street vendor just outside its doors, it definitely is worth the money, as the ambiance gives it a small cafe feel just a stone throw away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist filled temples and palaces. 


I was comforted by the music and the beautiful wall displays that I did not think of much at the time that I was ordering and receiving my delicious curries, which included panang and massaman. There also was a selection of drinks including colorful sodas and variations of teas made at the small bar just behind the the table for two. I quickly scarfed down the curry with my friend and enjoyed my Thai tea with milk, but it wasn't until after the meal that we really got a feel for what this place was about. You see, this place is not just a small cafe, but also a small little shop.


The jewelry that was displayed along the wall nearest the entrance was various types of jewelry that they made and sold within the shop. The camera chain really caught my eye and while I was intrigued to ask how much, I was too enthralled in taking pictures and continuing the conversation we were having with them. The jewelry was definitely crafted nicely and the entire wall display was beautiful, even though my picture will not do it justice. On the wall in the back of the store, there was a beautiful display of various homemade and packaged products. The designs and execution of the design of the products was definitely on point and could have been a shop in itself, however, it added to the wonderfulness of this little cafe. 


Of course, the most wonderful thing of all about the cafe was Apple and Ant. Apple (pictured on the left) made our drinks and talked to us about how quickly my friend and I scarfed down our food. He also talked to us about the jewelry, which made me realize that they were also selling these beautifully crafted items. It guided us into our conversations about Los Angeles and more. Ant (pictured on the right) came out after I asked if I could take their photo together. She was the cook and the mastermind behind the display of soaps and more! Before coming out for the picture, I did not realize how wonderful of a personality she had and she was so very happy and excited when talking to us. 


Our time was a ticking, so we had to be on our way, but there was something about this place that I didn't want to leave. The food and drinks were delicious, but the ambiance of the place and the beauty of the owners made it a paradise in the middle of this tourist-filled area of Bangkok. 

While the beauty of the Grand Palace and amazingness of all the temples around are definitely sites to see, it's nice to get to escape for all of that and walk into a place that is truly Thai, yet still makes you feel like you've been transported elsewhere. 


The Sixth Crafts & Cafe
No. 6 Soi Tha Tien Maha Rat Road
Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang, Bangkok, Thailand

Located in Tha Tien Alley just across the street from Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) along the Chao Phraya River. The cafe is newly opened so you are encouraged to visit and support this wonderful couple who I truly enjoyed meetings on this adventure.




No comments:

Post a Comment